Our latest blog entry has been written by Joy, who is sadly leaving the club after three years to move to Amsterdam! Joy has kindly written about her time with FCRC and the memories she’ll be taking with her. Thanks so much for sharing Joy, you’ll be missed by everyone at the club and please keep in touch!
I’ve loved being a member of FCRC… but as most of you know, I’m moving away. I thought a quick summary of my highlights might make a good blog. So here goes…
5 Things I’ve Learnt with FCRC
- Teamwork and the support you get from your team mates is invaluable
- The Forest of Bere is a great running spot, so many trails to discover
- People love their finish line awards, but prefer medals over everything else
- Your team mates will always encourage you to fulfil your potential – or in other words, you might find yourself running something extreme!
- Don’t underestimate the power of your team mates screaming your name at the finish of a race.
My Top 5 Races
- D-Day 10k – My first 10k race
- Hayling Island 10 Miles – It’s such a beautiful route
- The Wickham Whistler – a six hour lap timed event, fabulously stocked water stations and my first marathon distance
- Portsmouth Coastal Marathon – an out-and-back marathon, fortunately the mist was down!
- Virgin Money London Marathon – the atmosphere is amazing.
…and, my favourite race series : the Gosport 5k Series, Golden Mile and Golden 5k. The family friendliness is so apparent.
My Top 5 Races That I Never Had The Chance To Run
- Netley 10k – sadly it always clashed with Fareham Triathlon
- Ryde 10 Miles – I never made it across the water….
- Larmer Tree – I’ve already got the costume!
- The Giants Head Marathon – I’ve always wanted one of their medals
- Solent Half Marathon
5 Random Highlights Running With FCRC
- The poor man at Alton 10 who got mistaken for a water station, as he had one bottle of water and the boot of his car open!
- Our annual run through the bluebells – completely non-competitive and very good fun
- Meeting some amazing people and being inspired by them
- FCRC’s yearly Strava Challenge. It always gets me running
- I now own a collection of brightly coloured T-shirts and leggings!
I haven’t named anyone as I know I shall miss people off by mistake, but if you were involved in any of the above… Thank you. I shall miss you all.
Keep running and I’ll try and come back on my visits back!